Molds FAQs, Frequently Asked Questions – AlorAir Solutions

Molds FAQs, Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by AlorAir Alex on

Mold is found virtually everywhere as its spores are airborne. It is a form of invasive fungi and mostly thrives in damp areas that have high relative humidity. Molds differ in color. They can be black, white, orange, purple, and at times greyish patches.

They produce through means of lightweight, tiny spores that are contained in the air. While most people may disregard small growth, it is worth noting that they have detrimental effects and can be as dangerous as extensive mold growth.

For several years now, mold has become a topic that has dominated discussions and headlines worldwide. People are eager to know all the information and facts surrounding mold including the effects it has on humans, infrastructure, and the environment as a whole Below is a list of frequently asked questions by people who want to know more about molds.

What causes mold to grow?

When there is enough moisture, oxygen, ambient temperature, and the required nutrients, then mold grows and thrives very well. Nutrients consumed by mold are found in dead organic matter such as decomposing paper, wood, or fabric.

How does mold get into the house?

In many cases, mold spores find their way into the house via the air or by attaching themselves to people, animals, or objects that enter the house. During windy seasons mold spores are blown into the house, and when they find favorable conditions, then the mold is bound to grow.

How do I detect the growth of mold in my home?

Numerous signs indicate the growth of mold in your home or any other place. In most cases, mold produces a musty, stale smell that fills the house. You can also look out for stains and streaks in various areas of the house like the ceilings, walls, floors, and basements.

Damage water, floods, and leaks result in a high moisture level that is a requirement for mold to grow, so if you have experienced any of the cases mentioned above, then it is wise to do thorough mold inspection in your home.

 How do people get exposed to molds?

Individuals are exposed to mold in different ways. Some come into contact with mold through their skins and it could trigger reactions such as skin rashes or swelling.

Other people get exposed to molds through inhaling mold spores in the air through the nose and the lungs. Exposure to mold can also occur when a person eats food or takes drinks that are contaminated with molds.

What are some of the health effects caused by molds on a human?

Mold produces allergens that trigger allergic reactions to people predisposed to hypersensitive reactions. The allergic reactions could be severe or mild depending on the person and the duration of exposure. These allergic reactions include prolonged coughing, sneezing, eye irritation, skin rashes, and sore throat.  Among the people who are affected the most those with a compromised immune system, such as those suffering from chronic diseases like asthma, the aged, and the children. These people should avoid being exposed to mold to avoid severe reactions.

How do I get rid of mold in my house?

Mold elimination can be done using the following methods.

You can begin by cutting out large mold infestations that could be growing in unseen places in your house such as under the sink, in the basements, or behind the walls. When undertaking the activity make sure you wear protective gear including goggles and gloves.

Also, prevent the accumulation of moisture through proper ventilation. Use fans and whenever possible make sure you open all the doors and windows so that there can be a free flow of air in your kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, sitting room as well as your bedroom.

Drying wet areas. Seepage from floods, water from leaky pipes, and spills should be dried off immediately.

How does dehumidifier help in eliminating molds?

Dehumidifiers help in the regulation of moisture in a room. Dehumidification is done by pushing all the air in a room to one side, sucking the moisture from it and blowing the moisture-free air back into the room. The sucked moisture is passed over refrigerated coils in the dehumidifier where it is condensed and collected in a small holding tank. This tank is emptied regularly.

This process helps to control and regulate moisture levels in your home thus taming the growth of mold.


Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →