Have you ever woken up one time to suddenly find that a specific area in your house has unsightly spots and patches and the area looks moist? Your house has mold infestation. However, you need not worry because mold growth in home houses is much more rampant than you can think.
Mould and the Health Risks Associated with Mould Exposure
Mould is a fungus that thrives on moisture as its conducive environment for growth and mostly found almost everywhere. But there are places you would not want to see mold and its right in your own residence. Especially in damp areas that can facilitate mold growth. Apart from being very unpleasant and unwelcome to your sight, if exposed to mold can result in health threating effects. However, effects resulting from mold exposure reacts differently from person to person.
The following are health risks commonly associated with mold but not limited to:
1. Throat irritations-Reason to why mold causes throat problems like irritation is as a result of Mold Spores. A chemical component called mycotoxins is produced by mold and causes allergic reactions and other related problems that result to infections like; breathing problems, organ damage, mental impairment, hypersensitivity disorders and even death in rare cases.
2. Serious lung infections-For people with chronic lung problems and compromised immune systems, exposure to Aspergillus mold can cause an infection, aspergillosis. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, chest pain, and fever.
3. Skin rashes- Rashes are the common symptoms experienced by people living in a mold-infested house. When the immune system of a person is exposed to mold and reacts to the spores, skin irritation occurs. However, reactions on a person skin depend on the type of mold spores one is exposed to.
4. Nasal problems-if you happen to find yourself suffering troubled by itchy eyes, sinus pain congestion, and pressure during the fall months, then it’s likely that you are experiencing mold and mildew allergy. A large percentage of chronic sinus infections associated with mold exposure.
5. Shortness of breath-Persons with asthma frequently experience an increase in asthma symptoms after being exposed to black mold spores. Symptoms include:
- Wheezing, or a high-pitched.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Musical sound with breathing.
- Tightness in the chest.
6. Sore eyes-Eye inflammation caused by an allergic reaction to substances like mold spores is called Allergic conjunctivitis. In every person, eyelids and the covering of your eyeball contain a membrane called the conjunctiva. During hay fever season the conjunctiva is susceptible to irritation from allergens, especially mold but with the installation of a Alorair dehumidifier, the problem will be solved.
Way on how to reduce Moisture and Mold.
In order to reduce mold growth in your house, moisture content in your house must be regulated. This greatly helps in reducing health-related risks brought about by mold exposure. The following are tips to help reduce mold resulting from high moisture content in your home:
1. Always keep the bathroom windows open after using it- One of the places in your house where moisture builds up easily is the bathroom. By opening the bathroom windows while taking a shower helps keep all the moisture out and prevent mold from growing.
The following are tips to help prevent mold growth in your bathroom.
- Regularly Wash Your Rugs and Shower Curtain-These items have the capability to retain water longer than other surfaces in the bathroom. To clean plastic liners, soak them in a tub and mix with water which is an all-purpose cleaner or water and bleach for a half an hour.
- After using the bathroom turn on the Ventilation Fan- Whenever you take a bath or shower, always make sure you turn on the bathroom ventilation fan. Keep it running until your bathroom is dry.
- Air out the Curtain and Towels-After taking a shower, extend your shower curtains. Hang up your towels to allow free air flow which facilitates drying.
- Check for Leaks- It is very good toregularly examine all your bathrooms fixtures. Water from small leaks provides a perfect breeding ground for mold.
2. Measure and reduce indoor humidity- Mould thrives on areas with high moisture content and the recommended indoor humidity level is 60% and below. However, if the hygrometer shows 60% and above, humidity can be reduced by installing a Alorair dehumidifier and this wild lowers the moisture content in your house hence reducing mold growth.
3. Have a moisture-free kitchen- Another place in most homes where moisture is most likely build up easily is your kitchen. If possible, when designing and building your house kitchen make sure your account for an exhaust vent which will be used to move moisture out of the kitchen. However, Make sure you drain the refrigerator drip pan regularly.
4. Always check all areas of your house for water leaks.-Water leakage in your home is one of the reasons to moisture build up hence mold growth is accelerated posing critical health threats, whether on pipes, walls or taps. It very important to repair all water leakages in your house.
5. After cleaning your clothes hang them outside your house- If you are not lucky to have a spin dryer, then consider hanging your clothes outside when the weather is sunny enough to dry them. However, in areas where the weather is overcast them one is forced to hang wet clothes inside your house but make sure that the room where the clothes are to left to dry is free from moisture and well-ventilated. Alorair Dehumidifiers are great to assist with laundry drying.
6. After flooding immediately do clean up- There is place in this world where flood water reaches inside the houses of the residents in that particular area, this leads to accumulation of moisture which brings about the growth of mold and cleanup should be done within 24-48 hours after flooding has subsided. Flooded areas should be dried out. Replace all carpets or rugs that soaked out of floodwater. But no need to worry once you install a Alorair dehumidifier cause it solves all humidity related problems.
7. House windows should always remain open during the day- Besidesmoisture, in your house areas with darkness can easily trigger mold growth. However, allowing sunlight in your houses assists in preventing mold growth.
8. Install insulation in your home- Condensation frequently causes moisture formation and in order to reduce it is by installing insulation in your house hence keeping the indoor temperature warm especially during cold weather.
9. Invest in mold-resistant products- While building a new house from scratch or renovating your house, it is wise to set aside some finance and budget into buying mold-resistant and mold-killing products which intern will help you in the long run. The following are types of mold-resistant products:
- Mold Resistant Wood- This is anothergreat choice for preventing mold. The wood is treated with anti-mold chemicals. In addition to staving off mold and this product also prevent termites’ infestation.
- Mold Resistant Insulation- All though fiberglass is resistant to mold, there exist companies producing insulation that is treated with a fungicide. In addition, the fungicide used is low in toxicity making it a safer choice.
- Mold Resistant Drywall.
- Mold Resistant Drywall Tape.
- Mold Resistant Paint.
The following are ways in which one can implement and use mold resistant products:
- While Painting, paint can be applied with mold inhibitors which prevent mold from growing on walls.
- Kitchens, bathrooms, basements are the areas prone to dampness. This sections can be built using moisture-resistant drywall, hence preventing mold from growing and eventually spreading across your house.
Developing effective methods to reduce moisture with bringing about the growth of mold in your home is much dependent on the general climate in your area where your house is situated. House’s located in the tropical, moisture build-up is faster and mold growth occurs frequently compared to houses situated in more temperate climates.
10. Always direct water away from your home.If the ground around your home isn't sloppy enough away from the foundation, water collects there and seep into your basement or crawlspace. By doing this, it reduces the moisture in your house and prevents mold growth.
11. Repair and clean the roof gutters- Mold problem is largely associated with leaking roof and damaged gutters. It is highly recommended to clean roof gutter regularly and inspected for damage and keep an eye for water stains after storms that may show leakage.
12. Spot problematic areas in your house and correct them.You can never mold-proof your house, make it mold-resistant. Regularly carry out an audit of your home: your house basement flood? Do you regularly notice condensation on an upstairs window? Preventing mold growth or spreading as simple as ripping up the carpet in installing mold-resistant products, damp basement or repairing damaged gutters. In some cases, it's recommended you take a major waterproofing and excavation. Whatever the situation, make sure you address the problem now immediately. This might cost some money up front, but after some time it might cost you more if mold continues to grow unchecked.